Domain 8 - Engagement and Motivation (Contextual Domain)¶
This initial assessment domain should explore the person’s understanding of the mental health condition and their willingness to engage in or accept treatment.
Assessment of an individual on this domain should include the individual’s:
- understanding of the symptoms, condition, and impact,
- ability and capacity to manage the condition, and
- motivation to access necessary supports (particularly important if considering self-management options).
0 = Optimal
- Complete understanding of condition and impacts.
- Takes an active role in managing condition.
- Motivated about recovery and competently accesses support as needed.
1 = Positive
- Good understanding of condition and impacts.
- Capable of taking an active role in managing condition.
- Mostly willing to accept supports as needed.
2 = Limited
- Limited understanding or confusion about condition and impacts.
- Unlikely to access supports without prompting and encouragement.
- Limited interest in taking an active role in managing condition.
3 = Minimal
- Rarely accepts reality of condition but may acknowledge associated situational difficulties.
- No ability or interest in managing the condition.
- Some reluctance to accept supports, does not use resources available.
4 = Disengaged
- No awareness or understanding of the condition and impacts.
- Actively avoids managing the condition.
- Deliberately avoids potentially useful and available supports.