Initial Assessment and Referral Decision Support Tool¶
This documentation provides extracts from relevant sections of the National PHN Guidance - Initial Assessment and Referral for Mental Health Care which has been designed to assist the various parties involved in the initial assessment and referral process.
The Guidance has been developed to support nationally consistent evidence-informed initial assessment and referral processes and will be refined as new evidence emerges.
It is expected that PHNs will use the Guidance to:
- Design initial assessment and referral processes for referrers and commissioned primary mental health care services.
- Review existing initial assessment and referral processes for commissioned primary mental health care services.
- Guide the development of referral pathways (e.g., Health Pathways).
- Provide clear and consistent information to referrers, consumers, carers, and communities.
- Instigate clinical governance policies and protocols to monitor the safety and quality of assessment and referral systems.
Whilst this Guidance refers to the critical interface between primary mental health care and acute, tertiary and specialist secondary settings, this Guidance is not intended to be applied within acute or specialist mental health care settings. The Guidance has the potential to be used in private psychology and psychiatry services.
Strategic Data offers a dedicated Helpdesk which is available to support clinicians using the Initial Assessment and Referral Decision Support Tool.
All enquiries should be directed to email@example.com